Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rainproff shoe covers: neoprene versus Gore-Tex

Central Connecticut got some much needed rain these last few days, and I obtained a much needed device for my sojourn to Florida. In the interest of protecting my shoes from total saturation, I decided to invenst in some waterproof shoe covers. My question was, regular shoe covers or premium?

The premium choice was tempting. Gore Bikeware has shoe covers with its patented Gore-Tex material. Air and water can escape, but water cannot get in. Ingenius.

The "regular" choice was plane old neoprene. Simple concept. Water can't get in; can't get out. The shortcoming is that the material doesn't allow any "breathing," so over time I can sweat.

Here's the kicker: Both products are made from 95 percent of the same material. Low-tec, nothing special, straight polyester. Neoprene is 95 percent polyester and 5 percent polyvinylcholride (PVC). It's the PVC that keeps water from penetrating in either direction. And fancy shmancy GoreTex? Straight, 100 percent pure polyester. It's all about the weave pattern that keeps water out yet allows air and water to escape.

Cost ended up being the tiebracker. Neoprene offers the same water protection at 1/4 the cost, so I went with Louis Garneau's NeoProtect shoe covers for Nicole and me. If money were no option, I would have gone for the premium choice, but I've got to free up funds in order to thoroughly enjoy some of the activities on the way down.

Three weeks until we descend down Cadillac Mountain on our way to Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment